Thursday, September 18, 2008

Artist du jour: Shepard Fairey






I meant to put the art of Shepard Fairey on my blog for over a year, when I first became aware of him. Don't quite know what took me so long. I guess I needed a real life connection, like his up-coming show this weekend in San Francisco at White Walls. Apparently the show is already sold out! This guy has made an amazing career in the art/design world. Quite uncommon to straddle both worlds so sucessfully. He went to Parsons Design School and used Graffiti-Guerilla tactics with his Obey - Andre, the Giant campaign to catapult him to street-fame. His coup d'etat is of course The Obama Poster. He sells his designs on t-shirts, posters etc. on his own web site and in many young hipster boutiques. I love his patterns and the layering of patterns he uses on some of his pieces: very clever, very pretty and definitely catching the zeitgeist of vinatge and whimsy coupled with political criticism.

No comments: