Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My summer adventure

The great dig: cleaning out a storage room filled with things from the past!
This summer I went on a blitz mission to Germany to help my dad clean out a storage room, that was filled with things from our families past. It felt like an archeological dig, working through boxes of old, moldy magazines to unearth some wonderful treasures that are meaningful to our family. We found some old photos from around 1915 of my grandfather posing for my great great grandfather, the painter Johann Friedrich Engel. We were very excited when we realized that these photos were used to paint a picture of my grandfather Hugo as a little Bavarian boy.

Hugo Friedrich modeling for Johann Friedrich

The painting of little Hugo

Another painting by my great great grandfather Johann Friedrich Engel (John Fred Engel)


Enjoying life at the Garda Lake, Italy - lucky me: it was not all work, but also play, spending some days in Italy!

2 comments:

Jan Lochman said...

Maybe if you have a photo of your great great grandfather, you can post it to Wikipedia, to the article about him: https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Friedrich_Engel

Jan Lochman said...

Or this translation to English: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Friedrich_Engel